I’m usually not one for the sign-up gimmikry (is that a word) that others are. Most of the time it’s just not worth the time to jump through all the hoops to actually get your reward. But when I found out about KeyBank’s offer of a free iPod nano… I couldn’t resist.
So about 2 weeks ago I applied online at KeyBank.com for their free online checking account. However, there are a few “hoops” when it comes to the free iPod offer:
- You have to sign up before Sept. 16th (so hurry!)
- You have to sign up for either direct deposit or their KeyBank credit card (I opted for the credit card)
- You need to keep your account open for 180 days to avoid the cancellation fee
- To open the account a minimum $50 deposit is required (a simple bank transfer took care of this)
- You’ll receive a 1099-INT for the value of the iPod
But this week I received my credit card (actually issued through CitiBank) as well as confirmation of my account opening. So now it’s just a waiting game (up to 60 days) until I get that shiny new iPod!
If you can jump through the hoops that this offer requires and can part with $50 for 6 months than I encourage you to sign up. If the hoops are too much for you then I’ll keep you up-to-date as to the progress of my own experiment.